Xiaomi Redmi 1S was announced in May 2014. Mobile lovers didn’t believe the features of phone at such low price until they see it actually. The device is only available through flash sales conducted by Flipkart which increased the users interest further. At the time of Redmi 1S release, Moto E was leading the mobile sales in India. Anyway Redmi 1S thrashed it with huge response from users. However, Moto E still has its own importance in the market. If you have brought a Redmi 1s, you might be looking forward for Android Lollipop on Xiaomi Redmi 1S.
There is no official update yet, but you can install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Xiaomi Redmi 1s through Mokee ROM. The firmware is entirely based on Lollipop 5.0.1 and MIUI. As the firmware is not official, it may have some bugs. So, try this at your own risk. If you wish to install Lollipop on Xiaomi Redmi 1S, go through the prerequisites below to ensure successful installation of firmware.
Check Device Model Number
It is vital to check device model number before ROM installation to ensure flashing compatible files on the device. The device model number should be Xiaomi Redmi 1S/Xiaomi Hongmi 1S. If the device model number doesn’t match with mentioned one, do not attempt the tutorial.
Steps To Be Considered
- You must have a computer installed with Android SDK. The Android SDK installs ADB drivers which are required to recognize the device connected to computer.
- Enable USB debugging on the Xiaomi Redmi 1S which lets the device establish a stable connection with computer via USB. You can do it by following the below mentioned path. In latest versions of Android, the Enable Debugging option will be hidden in depth of settings category. You can follow our guide to enable USB debugging.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 60% charged at the start up of tutorial. If battery runs off during unlocking process, it may turn your phone into brick. So, charge the device before tutorial.
- Rooting the device erase entire data on the device including internal SD card. So, make sure you create a backup of entire important data. If you are not familiar with Android backup process, you can refer our guide to Backup Android phone data.
- Root Xiaomi Redmi 1s and install CWM recovery on it to support flashing Lollipop ROM.
Are you sure you completed all the above steps? Yes, you can now get started with the unlocking tutorial.
Guide To Install Android 5.0 Lollipop On Xiaomi Redmi 1S
Disclaimer: Rooting/Unlocking/Installing custom ROMs and Kernels are not official methods. So, neither device manufacturer nor Droid Word team is responsible if anything goes wrong with your device during the process. This article is only for educational purpose. You can continue with the tutorial at your own risk.
Steps To Be Followed
- Download Mokee 5.0 ROM and Google Apps to your PC.
- Connect Redmi 1S to PC and copy downloaded files to internal storage of the device.
- Disconnect the phone and turn off it.
- Now enter the recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up+Power buttons together until the menu appears.
- From the menu select wipe cache partition and wipe data/factory reset.
- After completion head over to Mounts and Storage>>Format System.
- Now tap advanced settings>>wipe dalvik cache.
- Once done select install zip and Choose zip from SD card, browse and select previously copied Mooke 5.0 ROM package. The installation process starts automatically.
- After completion of ROM installation select reboot system now from the menu.
- Follow the same process for installation of Google apps.
- You should note that the ROM is built on Chinese language. So, to switch to English language flash this file: SetEnglishLocaleMokee5.0.1 armani.zip.
That’s all! You’ve successfully installed Android 5.0 Lollipop on Xiaomi Redmi 1S through Mokee ROM. If you got stuck up between these steps, do let us know through the comments section. We may help you out.