Samsung Galaxy TabPro 8.4 comes out of box with Android 4.4 Kitkat. From the date of launch, the device haven’t received any Lollipop update. The TabPro 8.4 users might have got bored of using the same operating system for long time. It the time for rejoice, you can now update Samsung Galaxy TabPro 8.4 to Android 5.1 Lollipop using CyanogenMod firmware.
CyanogenMod is based on Android Open Source Project which contributes to Android community. The ROM’s developed by CyanogenMod are almost close to stock with added features. As it is feature rich and stable ROM, most of the Android experts prefers CyanogenMod to others. If you wish to install Android 5.1 Lollipop on Samsung Galaxy TabPro 8.4 via CyanogenMod, do follow the prerequisites to safeguard your personal data and to ensure successful installation.
Check Device Model Number
It is vital to check device model number before rooting/unlocking/flashing process to ensure flashing compatible files on the device. The device model name should be Samsung Galaxy TabPro 8.4 Wi-Fi(SM-T320). If the device model number doesn’t match with mentioned one, do not attempt the tutorial.
Samsung Galaxy TabPro 8.4 USB Drivers
To transfer firmware packages, it is to be connected with PC. For the PC to detect the device, it should have installed Samsung USB drivers. If you’ve not installed previously, download them form below source and install manually.
Steps To Be Considered
- Enable USB debugging on the Samsung Galaxy TabPro which lets the device establish a stable connection with computer via USB. You can do it by following the below mentioned path. In latest versions of Android, the Enable Debugging option will be hidden in depth of settings panel. You can follow our guide to enable USB debugging.
- Rooting the device erase entire data on the device including internal SD card. So, make sure you create a backup of entire important data. If you are not familiar with Android backup process, you can refer our guide to Backup Android phone data.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 60% charged at the start up of tutorial. If battery runs off during unlocking process, it may turn your phone into brick. So, charge the device before tutorial.
- If the device bootloader is locked, it is to be unlocked before rooting process. You cannot gain root access unless bootloader is unlocked.
- To install custom ROM’s/Firmware the Galaxy TabPro 8.4 must be rooted and should be installed with Clockworkmod recovery. Perform this step if not done previously.
Are you sure you completed all the above steps? Yes, you can now get started with the Lollipop installation process.
GUIDE TO UPDATE SAMSUNG GALAXY TABPRO 8.4 TO ANDROID 5.1 LOLLIPOP
Disclaimer: Rooting/Unlocking/Installing custom ROMs and Kernels are not official methods. So, neither device manufacturer nor Droid Word team is responsible if anything goes wrong with your device during the process. This article is only for educational purpose. You can continue with the implementation at your own risk.
STEPS TO BE FOLLOWED
Step 1: Download CyanogenMod12 lollipop ROM and Google Apps from downloads section to your PC.
Step 2: Using a USB cable connect the Galaxy TabPro to PC and transfer the downloaded packages into phone memory. Make sure you copy it to root folder and not in sub-folders.
Step 3: After transfer completes disconnect the USB cable and turn off the Galaxy tab.
Step 4: Now get into recovery mode on Galaxy TabPro using the below step:
- Turn on the device by holding Volume up+Home+Power buttons together until you see the recovery mode.
Step 5: Once the device is in custom recovery mode, you can find a list of options. Most of these options cannot be found in stock recovery. Among them find and select wipe data/factory reset(In recovery mode, the device touch will not work. You can use Volumebuttons to navigate and Power button to choose).
Step 6: Now perform a complete cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition.
Step 7: You can now enter Advanced options of recovery mode. Get into Advanced option and select wipe dalvik cache.
Step 8: As all the required data is cleared, you can now get started to installation steps. In main menu, select install zip from sdcard. Using the Volume and Power buttons navigate to previously copied CyanogenMod12 Lollipop package and select it. Confirm the installation in next step. Do not interrupt the installation.
Step 9: Once the installation is complete, follow the Step 8 and choose Google appspackage now and confirm the installation. Wait until the process completes.
Step 10: After completion of Google apps installation, select reboot system now to restart the Galaxy TabPro.
That’s it! The Samsung Galaxy TabPro 8.4 Wi-Fi now reboots running Android 5.1 Lollipop. To confirm the Android version, Go to Settings>About Phone you can find the Android version as 5.1.
If you face any issues while installation, do let us know through the comments section. We may help you out.