The Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 is one of the best affordable mobiles from Samsung with decent features. In Android phones, the manufacturer will not provide access to root by default. But we can access the root and use the device to full extent. You can root Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 with Chainfire’s autoroot package easily and modify it to your desired way.
Rooting Galaxy Grand 2 lets you install custom ROMs, Kernels and you can customize the device to suit your desire. Before getting into the tutorial, you should know what does rooting mean?
If you are ready to root Samsung Galaxy Grand 2, do follow the prerequisites below to safeguard your personal data and to ensure successful rooting process.
Check Device Model Number
It is vital to check device model number before rooting/unlocking/flashing process to ensure flashing compatible files on the device. The device model name should be Samsung Galaxy Grand 2(SM-G7102). If the device model number doesn’t match with mentioned one, do not attempt the tutorial.
Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 USB Drivers
To root Samsung Galaxy Grand 2, it is to be connected with PC. For the PC to detect the device, it should have installed Samsung USB drivers. If you’ve not installed previously, download them form below source and install manually.
Steps To Be Considered
- Enable USB debugging on the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 which lets the device establish a stable connection with computer via USB. You can do it by following the below mentioned path. In latest versions of Android, the Enable Debugging option will be hidden in depth of settings panel. You can follow our guide to enable USB debugging.
- Rooting the device erase entire data on the device including internal SD card. So, make sure you create a backup of entire important data. If you are not familiar with Android backup process, you can refer our guide to Backup Android phone data.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 60% charged at the start up of tutorial. If battery runs off during unlocking process, it may turn your phone into brick. So, charge the device before tutorial.
- If the device bootloader is locked, it is to be unlocked before rooting process. You cannot gain root access unless bootloader is unlocked.
Are you sure you completed all the above steps? Yes, you can now get started with the rooting process.
Guide to root Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 on Android 4.4.2 Kitkat
Disclaimer: Rooting/Unlocking/Installing custom ROMs and Kernels are not official methods. So, neither device manufacturer nor Droid Word team is responsible if anything goes wrong with your device during the process. This article is only for educational purpose. You can continue with the implementation at your own risk.
Steps to be followed
Step 1: Download CF-Auto-Root Package and ODIN flashing tool from the downloads section above.
Step 2: Unzip both the packages to a folder on desktop.
Step 3: Turn off the Galaxy Grand 2 and enter download mode. Don’t know how? Do follow the below steps:
- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold Home+Volume Down buttons.
- Now press the Power button until you see the Android logo.
- Now press Power button again to confirm
Step 4: Launch the previously unzipped ODIN set up file.
Step 5: Using a USB cable connect Galaxy Grand 2 to the PC in download mode. If the box under ID:COM turns yellow, it says connection is successful.
Step 6: Once the connection is established, click on PDA button in ODIN and choose CF-Auto-Root-ms013g-ms013gxx-smg7102.tar.md5 file from the previously unzipped files.
Step 7: Check Auto Reboot and F. Reset time if not checked previously.
Step 8: If all the above steps are done successfully, click Start button in ODIN which starts flashing the Autoroot package. Do no interrupt the installation process.
Step 9: After the installation completes, the box under ID:COM turns green. It says installation is successful. The device reboots and you can disconnect the USB once Home screen appears on Grand 2.
That’s it! You’ve successfully rooted Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 running Android 4.4.2 Kitkat. If you face any issues while following the above guide, do let us know through the comments section. We may help you out.