Moto E 2015 is follow up device of Moto E 2014. The device played a competitive role in mobile market with mid range specifications. It features a 4.5-inch IPS LCD capacitive touch screen with Corning Gorilla glass 3. It comes out of box running Android Lollipop v5.0 which can be upgraded to Android V5.1. Motorola locks bootloader of Smartphones by default. So, to use it to full extent, you should unlock bootloader of Moto E 2015.
In practice, we would be using commands to do this. But, the developers has come up with a tool using which we can unlock bootloader of Moto E in just a click. The unlocking process erases entire data on the device. So, follow the prerequisites to safeguard your personal data and to ensure successful unlocking process.
Check Device Model Number
It is vital to check device model number before unlocking to ensure successful completion. The device model number should be Moto E 2015(XT1527, XT1511 for USA/XT1505, XT1524 for Global models). If the device model number doesn’t match with mentioned one, do not attempt the tutorial.
Steps To Be Considered
- You must have a computer installed with Android SDK. The Android SDK installs ADB drivers which are required to recognize the device connected to computer.
- Enable USB debugging on the Moto E which lets the device establish a stable connection with computer via USB. You can do it by following the below mentioned path. In latest versions of Android, the Enable Debugging option will be hidden in depth of settings category. You can follow our guide to enable USB debugging.
- Also Select Allow OEM unlock in developer options.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 80% charged at the start up of tutorial. If battery runs off during unlocking process, it may turn your phone into brick. So, charge the device before tutorial.
- Unlocking the device erase entire data on the device including internal SD card. So, make sure you create a backup of entire important data. If you are not familiar with Android backup process, you can refer our guide to Backup Android phone data.
Are you sure you completed all the above steps? Yes, you can now get started with the rooting process.
Guide to Unlock bootloader of Moto E
Disclaimer: Rooting/Unlocking/Installing custom ROMs and Kernels are not official methods. So, neither device manufacturer nor Droid Word team is responsible if anything goes wrong with your device during the process. This article is only for educational purpose. You can continue with the tutorial at your own risk.
Steps to be followed
1. The tool requires .Net 4.0 to run. So, install it on your PC if you haven’t done previously.
2. Now download the Moto E Tool kit to your PC.
3. Launch the Tool kit and click Download drivers. It fetches the drivers and installs on PC.
4. Now connect Moto E to the PC using a USB cable.
5. Click Check Device and your device will be listed in the tool kit window.
6. Now click Generate String button which in turn reboots the device and opens up the Motorola website.
7. Login to the website and Copy the string generated in the tool kit and paste it to website field of “Can my device be unlocked?“. If your device is unlock-able, a “REQUEST UNLOCK KEY” button appears.
8. Select I agree and click the button.
9. Motorola send the unlock key through the mail. Copy it and paste it into the Enter unlock code field of tool kit and click unlock.
That’s all! The bootloader of the Moto E gets unlocked and reboots the device. If you face any issues while following the above steps, do let us know through the comments section. We may help you out.