The OnePlus Two comes out of box with locked Bootloader. To root it or to install custom recovery, the bootloader is to be unlocked. Once you unlock OnePlus Two, you can get started with installtion of TWRP recovery and root it.
Rooting Yu Yureka Plus lets you install custom ROMs, Kernels and you can customize the device to suit your desire. Before getting into the tutorial, you should know what does rooting mean?
If you are ready to root OnePlus Two and install custom TWRP recovery, do follow the prerequisites below to safeguard your personal data and to ensure successful installation.
Check Device Model Number
It is vital to check device model number before rooting/unlocking/flashing process to ensure flashing compatible files on the device. The device model name should be OnePlus Two. If the device model number doesn’t match with mentioned one, do not attempt the tutorial.
Steps To Be Considered
- Connect the device to PC using USB cable. If it displays any error message, your PC doesn’t have OnePlus drivers. So, continue to process after installing OnePlus USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging on the OnePlus Two which lets the device establish a stable connection with computer via USB. You can do it by following the below mentioned path. In latest versions of Android, the Enable Debugging option will be hidden in depth of settings category. You can follow our guide to enable USB debugging.
- Rooting the device erase entire data on the device including internal SD card. So, make sure you create a backup of entire important data. If you are not familiar with Android backup process, you can refer our guide to Backup Android phone data.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 60% charged at the start up of tutorial. If battery runs off during unlocking process, it may turn your phone into brick. So, charge the device before tutorial.
- The device should have unlocked bootloader and fastboot setup. If you haven’t done this, unlock bootloader of OnePlus Two and setup fastboot now.
Are you sure you completed all the above steps? Yes, you can now get started with the rooting process.
Guide to root OnePlus Two and install TWRP recovery
Disclaimer: Rooting/Unlocking/Installing custom ROMs and Kernels are not official methods. So, neither device manufacturer nor Droid Word team is responsible if anything goes wrong with your device during the process. This article is only for educational purpose. You can continue with the tutorial at your own risk.
Steps to be followed
Step 1: Download the TWRP recovery image file to PC and rename it to op2-twrp.img(Make sure you don’t rename it as op2-twrp.img.img) and copy it to a desktop folder with name Oneplus(Create it).
Step 2: Download SuperSu package and transfer to root folder to OnePlus Two memory.
Step 3: Now turn off the device and hold Power+Volume Up buttons until fastboot screen is displayed. In fastboot mode connect the device to PC using USB cable. If the PC installs any drivers, do not interrupt the process and let it compete.
Step 4: Now open the previously created Oneplus folder on desktop and launch a command prompt window there. (Hold Shift and click Right mouse>>Choose Open command window here)
Step 5: To check whether the fastboot is setup, run the following command
which returns the device model number. If it doesn’t, re-setup ADB and fastboot.
Step 6: In the same command prompt window enter the following command to flash the TWRP recovery on OnePlus Two
fastboot flash recovery op2-twrp.img
Step 7: Once flashing is done, boot into TWRP recovery by entering following command
fastboot boot op2-twrp.img
Once the above steps are successfully completed, you can get started to root OnePlus Two by following steps below
- With the above command the device boots into TWRP recovery and displays a menu.
- Choose install and then browse, select the previously copied SuperSu package and confirm to flash.
- Once the flashing is done, Wipe cache/dalvik and then choose Reboot System.
That’s all! The rooting process of OnePlus Two is successfully completed. To check whether the device is rooted, you can use the Root Checker app.
If you face any issues while following the above tutorial, do let us know through the comments section. We may help you out.