The Samsung has provided Android 5.0 Lollipop updates for all Galaxy S4 variants. But, it has ignored S4 Mini variants which are still running on Android 4.4.2 Kitkat. Even though Samsung has not provided the update, there is an alternative way to update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini to Android 5.1 Lollipop.
The CyanogenMod Lollipop build is also available for Galaxy S4 mini using which you can experience Lollipop on it. CyanongenMod ROM is a custom firmware which is not released by Samsung officially. But, CM firmware is close to stock firmware with few additional features.
If you wish to update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini to Android 5.1 Lollipop using CyanogenMod firmware, do follow the below prerequisites to safeguard your personal data and to ensure successful installation.
Check Device Model Number
It is vital to check device model number before rooting/unlocking/flashing process to ensure flashing compatible files on the device. The device model name should be Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini(GT-I9190). If the device model number doesn’t match with mentioned one, do not attempt the tutorial.
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini USB Drivers
To transfer firmware packages, it is to be connected with PC. For the PC to detect the device, it should have installed Samsung USB drivers. If you’ve not installed previously, download them form below source and install manually.
Steps To Be Considered
- Enable USB debugging on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini which lets the device establish a stable connection with computer via USB. You can do it by following the below mentioned path. In latest versions of Android, the Enable Debugging option will be hidden in depth of settings panel. You can follow our guide to enable USB debugging.
- Rooting the device erase entire data on the device including internal SD card. So, make sure you create a backup of entire important data. If you are not familiar with Android backup process, you can refer our guide to Backup Android phone data.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 60% charged at the start up of tutorial. If battery runs off during unlocking process, it may turn your phone into brick. So, charge the device before tutorial.
- If the device bootloader is locked, it is to be unlocked before rooting process. You cannot gain root access unless bootloader is unlocked.
- To install custom ROM’s/Firmware the Galaxy S4 Mini must be rooted and should be installed with Clockworkmod recovery. Perform this step if not done previously.
Are you sure you completed all the above steps? Yes, you can now get started with the Lollipop installation process.
Guide to update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini to Android 5.1 Lollipop
Disclaimer: Rooting/Unlocking/Installing custom ROMs and Kernels are not official methods. So, neither device manufacturer nor Droid Word team is responsible if anything goes wrong with your device during the process. This article is only for educational purpose. You can continue with the implementation at your own risk.
Steps to be followed
- Download the CyanogenMod 5.1 package to your PC.
- Download Google apps package to your PC.
- Connect the Galaxy S4 Mini to the PC and transfer the downloaded packages to memory of the device. Make sure you copy them to root folder and not in sub-folders.
- Once the transfer is complete, disconnect the device and turn off it.
- Now enter the recovery mode on Galaxy S4 mini following below step:
- Turn on the device by holding Volume up+Home+Power buttons together until you see the recovery mode.
- Once the custom recovery mode is launched, you can see a list of options. Most of these options cannot be found in stock recovery mode. Among these options, find and select wipe data/factory reset(Use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select).
- Next to data wipe, perform a cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition.
- Getting into advanced options, navigate to advanced>>select wipe dalvik cache.
- After completion of all above steps, get back to main menu and select install zip from sdcard. Using Power and Volume buttons navigate to previously copied CyanogenMod 5.1 package and choose it. Confirm the installation in next step. Do not interrupt the installation process.
- Next to completion of installation of ROM, follow the Step 9 again and choose Google apps package now and let the installation complete.
- After completion, select reboot system now to restart the device.
That’s all! the device now reboots running Android 5.1 Lollipop. You’ve successfully updated Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini to Android 5.1 Lollipop via CyanogenMod firmware. To confirm the installed version, go to Settings>>About phone where you can see Android version as 5.1.
If you face any issues while following the above guide, do let us know through the comments section, we may help you out.