Samsung has not yet provided Android Lollipop update for Galaxy Grand 2. Neither it has announced the lollipop release date while other models are being provided with 5.1 update after 5.0 Lollipop. If you are an user of Galaxy Grand 2, need not worry. You can now update Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 to Android 5.1 Lollipop using CyanogenMod firmware.
CyanogenMod firmware is not official firmware provided by Samsung. It is custom firmware close to stock firmware with added features. CyanogenMod firmware is said to be feature rich and stable. So, you can try out this ROM on your device.
If you wish to update Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 to Android 5.1 Lollipop, do follow the prerequisites below to safeguard your personal data and to ensure successful Lollipop installation.
Check Device Model Number
It is vital to check device model number before rooting/unlocking/flashing process to ensure flashing compatible files on the device. The device model name should be Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 Duos(SM-G7102). If the device model number doesn’t match with mentioned one, do not attempt the tutorial.
Samsung Grand 2 Duos USB Drivers
To transfer firmware packages, it is to be connected with PC. For the PC to detect the device, it should have installed Samsung USB drivers. If you’ve not installed previously, download them form below source and install manually.
Steps To Be Considered
- Enable USB debugging on the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 which lets the device establish a stable connection with computer via USB. You can do it by following the below mentioned path. In latest versions of Android, the Enable Debugging option will be hidden in depth of settings panel. You can follow our guide to enable USB debugging.
- Rooting the device erase entire data on the device including internal SD card. So, make sure you create a backup of entire important data. If you are not familiar with Android backup process, you can refer our guide to Backup Android phone data.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 60% charged at the start up of tutorial. If battery runs off during unlocking process, it may turn your phone into brick. So, charge the device before tutorial.
- If the device bootloader is locked, it is to be unlocked before rooting process. You cannot gain root access unless bootloader is unlocked.
- To install custom ROM’s/Firmware the Galaxy Grand 2 should be rooted and should be installed with Clockworkmod recovery/TWRP recovery. Perform this step if not done previously.
Are you sure you completed all the above steps? Yes, you can now get started with the Lollipop installation process.
Guide to update Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 to Android 5.1 Lollipop
Disclaimer: Rooting/Unlocking/Installing custom ROMs and Kernels are not official methods. So, neither device manufacturer nor Droid Word team is responsible if anything goes wrong with your device during the process. This article is only for educational purpose. You can continue with the implementation at your own risk.
Steps to be followed
- Download the CyanogenMod ROM package and Google apps from downloads section(above) to your PC.
- Connect Galaxy Grand 2 to PC using USB cable.
- Transfer both the packages to Phone memory or SD card. Make sure you copy them to root of memory and not in sub-folders.
- Disconnect the USB cable and turn off the Grand 2.
- Now enter the recovery mode on Galaxy Grand 2 following below step:
- Turn on the device by holding Volume up+Home+Power buttons together until you see the recovery mode.
- In the custom recovery mode you can see a list of options which could not be found in stock recovery. Among them find and select wipe cache/factory reset(In recovery mode device touch will not work. So, make use of Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select).
- Now perform a complete cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition.
- Now enter advanced and select wipe dalvik cache in the options.
- Once done with all the above steps, you can start installation of Lollipop firmware on Galaxy Grand 2. In the main menu select install zip from sdcard, navigate and choose the previously copied CyanogenMod ROM package. Confirm the installation in next step. Do not interrupt the installation process.
- After the ROM package is installed, follow the Step 9 again and choose the Google apps package now. Wait until the installation is complete.
- After completion of Google apps installation, select reboot system now option which restarts the device.
That’s it! The device now reboots running Android 5.1 Lollipop. You’ve successfully updated Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 to Android 5.1 Lollipop via CyanogenMod firmware. If you face any issues while following the above tutorial, do let us know through the comments section. We may help you out.