The Samsung Galaxy S4 recently received Android 5.0 Lollipop update. The official Marshmallow update would take sometime to hit Galaxy S4. Meanwhile, you can have fun with Android 5.1 Lollipop. Yes, you can now update Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 5.1 Lollipop.
The Cyanogen based crDroid ROM is developed for Galaxy S4 using which you can install Android 5.1 Lollipop on Galaxy S4. The ROM may come with added features which may not be found in Stock firmware and it may also posses few bugs.
If you are ready to update Galaxy S4 to Android 5.1 Lollipop, do follow the below prerequisites to safeguard your personal data and to ensure successful installation.
Check Device Model Number
It is vital to check device model number before rooting/unlocking/flashing process to ensure flashing compatible files on the device. The device model name should be Samsung Galaxy S4(GT-I9500). If your device model number doesn’t match with mentioned one, do not attempt the tutorial.
Samsung Galaxy S4 USB Drivers
To transfer firmware packages, it is to be connected with PC. For the PC to detect the device, it should have installed Samsung USB drivers. If you’ve not installed previously, download them form below source and install manually.
Steps To Be Considered
- Enable USB debugging on the Samsung Galaxy S4 which lets the device establish a stable connection with computer via USB. You can do it by following the below mentioned path. In latest versions of Android, the Enable Debugging option will be hidden in depth of settings panel. You can follow our guide to enable USB debugging.
- Rooting the device erase entire data on the device including internal SD card. So, make sure you create a backup of entire important data. If you are not familiar with Android backup process, you can refer our guide to Backup Android phone data.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 60% charged at the start up of tutorial. If battery runs off during unlocking process, it may turn your phone into brick. So, charge the device before tutorial.
- If the device bootloader is locked, it is to be unlocked before rooting process. You cannot gain root access unless bootloader is unlocked.
- To install custom ROM’s/Firmware the Galaxy S4 must be rooted and should be installed with Clockworkmod recovery/TWRP recovery. Perform this step if not done previously.
Are you sure you completed all the above steps? Yes, you can now get started with the Lollipop installation process.
Guide to update Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 to Android 5.1 Lollipop
Disclaimer: Rooting/Unlocking/Installing custom ROMs and Kernels are not official methods. So, neither device manufacturer nor Droid Word team is responsible if anything goes wrong with your device during the process. This article is only for educational purpose. You can continue with the implementation at your own risk.
Steps to be followed
Step 1: Download the crDroid ROM and Google Apps zip packages from the downloads section to your PC. Do not unzip them.
Step 2: To transfer the packages into the device, connect the Galaxy S4 to PC using an USB cable.
Step 3: Once connected, transfer both the packages into the root of phone memory/SDcard memory. Make sure you do not copy them in folders.
Step 4: Disconnect the USB cable after transfer is done and turn Galaxy S4 off.
Step 5: To flash the firmware package, the device is to be in recovery mode. So, enter recovery mode on Galaxy S4 by following the below step:
Turn on the device by holding Volume up+Home+Power buttons together until you see the recovery mode.
Step 6: In the custom recovery mode, you can see few additional options which may not be available in stock recovery. Among those options choose wipe cache/factory reset(In recovery mode, the device touch interface will not work. You can use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select).
Step 7: Now perform a complete cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition.
Step 8: To clear the dalvik cache, enter advanced options and choose wipe dalvik cache.
Step 9: If you are done with all the above steps, get started with the firmware flashing step. In the recovery menu, select install zip from sdcard, navigate and choose the previously copied crDroid ROM package.
Step 10: Confirm the installation and do not interrupt the device once the installation process is started.
Step 11: After the ROM flashing is completed, follow the Step 9&10 again and choose Google apps package this time.
Step 12: Once the Google apps flashing is completed, choose reboot system now option in recovery mode.
That’s it! Your device now reboots running Android 5.1. You’ve succesasfully updated Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 to Android 5.1 Lollipop. If you face any issues while following the above tutorial, do let us know through the comments section. We may help you out.