The Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 devices are still running on Android 4.4.2 Kitkat operating system still. It didn’t received any official Lollipop update. But the users need not worry. You can update Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to Android 5.1 Lollipop through OmniRom firmware.
The Ominrom is a custom firmware which isn’t released officially by Samsung. So, it may contain few bugs and few added features which may not be found in stock firmware. If you wish to update Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to Android 5.1 Lollipop, do follow the below prerequisites to safeguard your personal data and to ensure successful installation.
Check Device Model Number
It is vital to check device model number before rooting/unlocking/flashing process to ensure flashing compatible files on the device. The device model name should be Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 Wi-fi(GT-N5110). If your device model number doesn’t match with mentioned one, do not attempt the tutorial.
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 USB Drivers
To transfer firmware packages, it is to be connected with PC. For the PC to detect the device, it should have installed Samsung USB drivers. If you’ve not installed previously, download them form below source and install manually.
Steps To Be Considered
- Enable USB debugging on the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 which lets the device establish a stable connection with computer via USB. You can do it by following the below mentioned path. In latest versions of Android, the Enable Debugging option will be hidden in depth of settings panel. You can follow our guide to enable USB debugging.
- Rooting the device erase entire data on the device including internal SD card. So, make sure you create a backup of entire important data. If you are not familiar with Android backup process, you can refer our guide to Backup Android phone data.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 60% charged at the start up of tutorial. If battery runs off during unlocking process, it may turn your phone into brick. So, charge the device before tutorial.
- If the device bootloader is locked, it is to be unlocked before rooting process. You cannot gain root access unless bootloader is unlocked.
- To install custom ROM’s/Firmware the Galaxy Note 8.0 must be rooted and should be installed with Clockworkmod recovery/TWRP recovery. Perform this step if not done previously.
Are you sure you completed all the above steps? Yes, you can now get started with the Lollipop installation process.
Guide to update Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to Android 5.1 Lollipop
Disclaimer: Rooting/Unlocking/Installing custom ROMs and Kernels are not official methods. So, neither device manufacturer nor Droid Word team is responsible if anything goes wrong with your device during the process. This article is only for educational purpose. You can continue with the implementation at your own risk.
Steps to be followed
Step 1: Download the Omnirom package and Google apps from above downloads section to your PC.
Step 2: Do not unzip the packages. Now connect the Galaxy Note to PC using an USB cable.
Step 3: Once the device is connected transfer the packages into root of phone memory/sdcard memory. Make sure you do not copy them in folders.
Step 4: Now disconnect the device and enter download mode in it. Don’t know how? Do follow the simple step below:
Turn on the device by holding Volume up+Home+Power buttons together until you see the recovery mode.
Step 5: Once the device is in recovery mode, you can see a list of options which may not be available in stock recovery mode. Among the available options, find and select wipe data/factory reset(In recovery mode, the touch interface will not support. So, you can make use of Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select).
Step 6: Now perform a complete cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition.
Step 7: To clear the dalvik cache, get into advanced options and select wipe dalvik cache.
Step 8: Once done with all the above steps, get started with the firmware installation step. Select install zip from sdcard, navigate and select the previously copied Omnirom package.
Step 9: Confirm the installation. Do not interrupt the flashing process.
Step 10: Once done, follow the Step 8&9 again and this time choose Google apps package copied previously.
Step 11: After the Google apps package installation is done, select reboot system now option.
That’s it! Your device now reboots running Android 5.1 Lollipop. You have successfully updated Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to Android 5.1 Lollipop via Omnirom firmware. If you face any issues while following the above tutorial, do let us know through the comments section. We may help you out.