The Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 of Samsung didn’t even received Android Kitkat update officially. If you are an user of Galaxy Tab 2, you can still install latest Android operating system on it. Yes, We can now update Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 to Android 5.1 Lollipop through CyanogenMod firmware.
The CyanogenMod is a custom firmware which is not officially provided by Samsung. The CyanogenMod firmware is stable and feature rich and it may have few bugs though. If you wish to update Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to Android 5.1 Lollipop, follow the below prerequisites to safeguard your personal data and to ensure successful installation.
Check Device Model Number
It is vital to check device model number before rooting/unlocking/flashing process to ensure flashing compatible files on the device. The device model name should be Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0(GT-P3100). If your device model number doesn’t match with mentioned one, do not attempt the tutorial.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 USB Drivers
To transfer firmware packages, it is to be connected with PC. For the PC to detect the device, it should have installed Samsung USB drivers. If you’ve not installed previously, download them form below source and install manually.
Steps To Be Considered
- Enable USB debugging on the Samsung Tab 2 7.0 which lets the device establish a stable connection with computer via USB. You can do it by following the below mentioned path. In latest versions of Android, the Enable Debugging option will be hidden in depth of settings panel. You can follow our guide to enable USB debugging.
- Rooting the device erase entire data on the device including internal SD card. So, make sure you create a backup of entire important data. If you are not familiar with Android backup process, you can refer our guide to Backup Android phone data.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 60% charged at the start up of tutorial. If battery runs off during unlocking process, it may turn your phone into brick. So, charge the device before tutorial.
- If the device bootloader is locked, it is to be unlocked before rooting process. You cannot gain root access unless bootloader is unlocked.
- To install custom ROM’s/Firmware the Galaxy Tab 2 must be rooted and should be installed with Clockworkmod recovery/TWRP recovery. Perform this step if not done previously.
Are you sure you completed all the above steps? Yes, you can now get started with the Lollipop installation process.
Guide to update Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to Android 5.1 Lollipop
Disclaimer: Rooting/Unlocking/Installing custom ROMs and Kernels are not official methods. So, neither device manufacturer nor Droid Word team is responsible if anything goes wrong with your device during the process. This article is only for educational purpose. You can continue with the implementation at your own risk.
Steps to be followed
Step 1: Download CyanogenMod firmware and Google Apps packages from the downloads section to your PC.
Step 2: Do not unzip the packages. Connect the Galaxy Tab 2 to the PC using an USB cable.
Step 3: Transfer the downloaded packages to the root of Galaxy Tab 2 phone/SDcard memory. Make sure you do not copy them into inner folders.
Step 4: Disconnect the device once the transfer is done.
Step 5: Now you can get started with flashing the copied firmware packages. The device should be in recovery mode to flash custom firmware. Enter recovery mode in Galaxy Tab 2 by following the simple step below:
Turn on the device by holding Volume up+Home+Power buttons together until you see the recovery mode.
Step 6: In the custom recovery menu you can see a list of options which may not be available in stock recovery. Among the available options, select wipe data/factory reset option which resets the entire device(In download mode the touch interface will not function. So, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select).
Step 7: Once done perform a complete cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition.
Step 8: Now get into advanced recovery options and select wipe dalvik cache.
Step 9: Once done with all the above steps, select install zip from sdcard, navigate and select the previously copied CyanogenMod firmware package. Confirm the installation and do not interrupt the process.
Step 10: After completion perform the Step 9 again and select Google apps package now.
Step 11: If all the above steps are completed successfully, select reboot system now option to restart the device.
That’s it! Your device now restarts running Android 5.1 Lollipop. You’ve successfully updated Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to Android 5.1 Lollipop via CyaongenMod firmware. If you face any issues while following the above guide, do let us know through the comments section. We may help you out.