The Galaxy Ace series is most successful series of Samsung in mid-range price. Even though Samsung has halted releasing software updates for the device, the developers are still working on it. The result of their work lets you update Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 to Android 5.0 Lollipop.
The AOSP Lollipop ROM is available for Galaxy Ace 2 which lets you use custom Android 5.0 on it. As it is not official firmware by Samsung, it may have few bugs. If you wish to update Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 with Android 5.0 lollipop, do follow the below prerequisites to safeguard your personal data and to ensure successful installation.
Check Device Model Number
It is vital to check device model number before rooting/unlocking/flashing process to ensure flashing compatible files on the device. The device model name should be Samsung Galaxy Ace 2(GT-I8160). If your device model number doesn’t match with mentioned one, do not attempt the tutorial.
Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 USB Drivers
To transfer firmware packages, it is to be connected with PC. For the PC to detect the device, it should have installed Samsung USB drivers. If you’ve not installed previously, download them form below source and install manually.
Steps To Be Considered
- Enable USB debugging on the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 which lets the device establish a stable connection with computer via USB. This can be done by following Settings>>Developer options>>USB debugging(Check it).
- Rooting the device erase entire data on the device including internal SD card. So, make sure you create a backup of entire important data. If you are not familiar with Android backup process, you can refer our guide to Backup Android phone data.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 60% charged at the start up of tutorial. If battery runs off during unlocking process, it may turn your phone into brick. So, charge the device before tutorial.
- If the device bootloader is locked, it is to be unlocked before rooting process. You caannot gain root access unless bootloader is unlocked.
- To install custom ROM’s/Firmware the Galaxy Ace 2 must be rooted and should be installed with Clockworkmod recovery/TWRP recovery. Perform this step if not done previously.
Are you sure you completed all the above steps? Yes, you can now get started with the Lollipop installation process.
Guide to update Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 to Android 5.0 Lollipop
Disclaimer: Rooting/Unlocking/Installing custom ROMs and Kernels are not official methods. So, neither device manufacturer nor Droid Word team is responsible if anything goes wrong with your device during the process. This article is only for educational purpose. You can continue with the implementation at your own risk.
Steps to be followed
Step 1: Download the AOSP ROM and Google apps to your PC.
Step 2: Connect the Galaxy Ace 2 to PC using an USB cable.
Step 3: Transfer the previously downloaded packages to the root phone/SDcard memory of Galaxy Ace 2.
Step 4: Once transfer is done, disconnect the device and turn off it.
Step 5: Now enter recovery mode in it. Don’t know how? Follow the simple step below:
Turn on the device by holding Volume up+Home+Power buttons together until you see the recovery mode.
Step 6: In custom recovery mode you can see few options to wipe data and to flash zip packages. Among the available options find and select wipe cache/factory reset(In recovery mode, the touch interface will not work. So use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select). This step wipes the cache on the device and resets it.
Step 7: Now perform a cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition.
Step 8: To clear dalvik cache, enter advanced options and select wipe dalvik cache.
Step 9: If done with all the above steps, you can get started to flash the firmware package. Select install zip from sdcard, navigate and choose previously copied AOSP rom package. Confirm the installation and do not interrupt the process.
Step 10: After completion, perform the Step 9 again and choose Google apps package in this case.
Step 11: Once done with installation process, select reboot system now option to restart the device.
That’s it! Your device now reboots running Android 5.0 Lollipop OS. You have successfully updated Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 to Android 5.0 Lollipop operating system. If you face any issues while following the above tutorial, do let us know through the comments section. We may help you out.