Good news! CyanogenMod Lollipop rom is now available. You can now update Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop operating system. Even Samsung has not released any official Lollipop update for Galaxy Grand 2, CyanogenMod developers cared of the users.
The CyanogenMod is a custom Android firmware which is based on pure Android stock ROM. CyanogenMod ROMs are famous for their features. As it is custom firmware, it may posses few bugs. So, do not install this rom for daily use. If you wish to try and update Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, do follow this XDA thread to get solutions for minor bugs. Also follow the below prerequisites to safeguard your personal data and to ensure successful installation.
Check Device Model Number
It is vital to check device model number before rooting/unlocking/flashing process to ensure flashing compatible files on the device. The device model name should be Samsung Galaxy Grand 2(SM-G7102). If the device model number doesn’t match with mentioned one, do not attempt the tutorial.
Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 USB Drivers
To transfer firmware packages, it is to be connected with PC. For the PC to detect the device, it should have installed Samsung USB drivers. If you’ve not installed previously, download them form below source and install manually.
Steps To Be Considered
- Enable USB debugging on the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 which lets the device establish a stable connection with computer via USB. You can do it by following the below mentioned path. In latest versions of Android, the Enable Debugging option will be hidden in depth of settings panel. You can follow our guide to enable USB debugging.
- Rooting the device erase entire data on the device including internal SD card. So, make sure you create a backup of entire important data. If you are not familiar with Android backup process, you can refer our guide to Backup Android phone data.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 60% charged at the start up of tutorial. If battery runs off during unlocking process, it may turn your phone into brick. So, charge the device before tutorial.
- If the device bootloader is locked, it is to be unlocked before rooting process. You cannot gain root access unless bootloader is unlocked.
- To install custom ROM’s/Firmware the Galaxy Grand 2 must be rooted and should be installed with Clockworkmod recovery. Perform this step if not done previously.
Are you sure you completed all the above steps? Yes, you can now get started with the Lollipop installation process.
GUIDE TO UPDATE SAMSUNG GALAXY GRAND 2 TO ANDROID 5.1.1 LOLLIPOP VIA CYANOGENMOD ROM
Disclaimer: Rooting/Unlocking/Installing custom ROMs and Kernels are not official methods. So, neither device manufacturer nor Droid Word team is responsible if anything goes wrong with your device during the process. This article is only for educational purpose. You can continue with the implementation at your own risk.
STEPS TO BE FOLLOWED
Step 1: Download Android Lollipop ROM and Google Apps packages from downloads section to your PC. Do not unzip the packages.
Step 2: Connect Galaxy Grand 2 to PC using an USB cable.
Step 3: Transfer the downloaded packages into the root of phone/SDcard memory.
Step 4: Once the transfer is done, disconnect the USB and turn off the Galaxy Grand 2.
Step 5: Enter custom recovery mode on Galaxy Grand. Don’t know how? Do follow the simple step below:
Turn on the device by holding Volume up+Home+Power buttons together until you see the recovery mode.
Step 6: In custom recovery mode, you can view a list of options which are not available in Stock recovery. Among them, find and select wipe data/factory reset(In recovery mode the touch interface will not work. You can use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select).
Step 7: Now perform a complete data wipe by selecting wipe cache partition.
Step 8: Once done, enter advanced options in recovery mode and select wipe dalvik cache.
Step 9: If you are done with all the above steps, you can flash the firmware package now. Select install zip from sdcard, navigate and choose the previously copied Android Lollipop ROM package. Confirm the installation and do not interrupt the process.
Step 10: After completion follow Step 9 again and choose Google apps package in this case.
Step 11: Once the packages installation is completed, select reboot system now option.
That’s it! Your device now boots up running Android 5.1 Lollipop. You have successfully Updated Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 G7012 to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop via CyanogenMod firmware. If you face any issues while following the above guide, do let us know through the comments section. We may help you out.