Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 has received its latest Android software update to Android 7.0 Nougat. Samsung may or may not provide official Android 8.0 Oreo update for Galaxy Tab S2 in coming months. If you wish not to wait for the official update, you can try out Android 8.0 Oreo custom firmware on Galaxy Tab S2.
LineageOS 15.0 is one of the best custom Android 8.0 Oreo firmware available for Galaxy Tab S2. LineageOS 15.0 is currently in Alpha stage. So, we do not recommend this installation for non technical Android users. You can follow the official ROM page link provided at end of article to get updates on bug fixes and stable release. If you are ready to update Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T813 to Android 8.0 Oreo, do follow the below prerequisites to safeguard your personal data and to ensure successful installation.
Check Device Model Number
It is vital to check device model number before rooting/unlocking/flashing process to ensure flashing compatible files on the device. The device model name/number should be Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (SM-T813). If your device model number doesn’t match with mentioned one in the link, do not attempt the tutorial.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 USB Drivers
To transfer firmware packages, it is to be connected with PC. For the PC to detect the device, it should have installed Samsung USB drivers. If you’ve not installed previously, download them form below source and install manually.
Steps To Be Considered
- Enable USB debugging on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 which lets the device establish a stable connection with computer via USB. You can do it by following the below mentioned path. In latest versions of Android, the Enable Debugging option will be hidden in depth of settings panel. You can follow our guide to enable USB debugging.
- Rooting the device erase entire data on the device including internal SD card. So, make sure you create a backup of entire important data. If you are not familiar with Android backup process, you can refer our guide to Backup Android phone data.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 60% charged at the start up of tutorial. If battery runs off during unlocking process, it may turn your phone into brick. So, charge the device before tutorial.
- If the device bootloader is locked, it is to be unlocked before rooting process. You cannot gain root access unless bootloader is unlocked.
- To install custom ROM’s/Firmware the Galaxy Tab S2 must be rooted and should be installed with Clockworkmod recovery/TWRP recovery. Perform this step if not done previously.
Are you sure you completed all the above steps? Yes, you can now get started with the Android Oreo installation process.
Google Apps (Choose ARM, Pico)
GUIDE TO UPDATE SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB S2 SM-T813 TO ANDROID 8.0 OREO VIA LINEAGEOS ROM
Disclaimer: Rooting/Unlocking/Installing custom ROMs and Kernels are not official methods. So, neither device manufacturer nor Droid Word team is responsible if anything goes wrong with your device during the process. This article is only for educational purpose. You can continue with the implementation at your own risk.
STEPS TO BE FOLLOWED
Step 1: Download Android 8.0 Oreo ROM and Google Apps packages from downloads section to your PC. Do not unzip the packages.
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 to PC using an USB cable.
Step 3: Transfer the downloaded packages into the root of phone/SDcard memory.
Step 4: Once the transfer is done, disconnect the USB and turn off the Galaxy Tab S2.
Step 5: Enter custom recovery mode on Galaxy Tab S2. Don’t know how? Do follow the simple step below.
Turn on the device by holding Volume up+Home+Power buttons together until you see the recovery mode.
Step 6: In custom recovery mode, you can view a list of options which are not available in Stock recovery. Among them, find and select wipe data/factory reset(In recovery mode the touch interface will not work. You can use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select).
Step 7: Now perform a complete data wipe by selecting wipe cache partition.
Step 8: Once done, enter advanced options in recovery mode and select wipe dalvik cache.
Step 9: If you are done with all the above steps, you can flash the firmware package now. Select install zip from sdcard, navigate and choose the previously copied Android 8.0 Oreo ROM package. Confirm the installation and do not interrupt the process.
Step 10: After completion follow Step 9 again and choose Google apps package in this case.
Step 11: Once the packages installation is completed, select reboot system now option.
That’s it! Your device now boots up running Android 8.0 Oreo. You have successfully updated Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T813 to Android 8.0 Oreo operating system. If you face any issues while following the above guide, do let us know through the comments section. We may help you out.