HTC One M8 received its last software update to Android 6.0 Marshmallow. If you are an user of HTC One M8, need not worry. You can still update HTC One M8 to Android 8.0 Oreo through LienageOS custom ROM.
LineageOS is one of the best custom Android Oreo firmware available for HTC One M8. LineageOS is based on Stock Android. So, it can be expected to be stable and reliable for daily usage. As the firmware is custom developed and still in development version, we recommend this ROM for only technical Android users. The device is to be rooted before custom ROM installation and further risks may be involved in installation process. If you are ready to update HTC One M8 to Android 8.0 Oreo, do follow the below prerequisites to safeguard your personal data and to ensure successful installation.
Check Device Model Number
It is vital to check device model number before rooting/unlocking/flashing process to ensure flashing compatible files on the device. The device model name should be HTC One M8(Codename – m8ul). If the device model number/Codename doesn’t match with mentioned one, do not attempt the tutorial.
HTC One M8 USB Drivers
To transfer firmware packages, it is to be connected with PC. For the PC to detect the device, it should have installed Samsung USB drivers. If you’ve not installed previously, download them form below source and install manually.
Steps To Be Considered
- Enable USB debugging on the HTC One M8 which lets the device establish a stable connection with computer via USB. You can do it by following the below mentioned path. In latest versions of Android, the Enable Debugging option will be hidden in depth of settings panel. You can follow our guide to enable USB debugging.
- Rooting the device erase entire data on the device including internal SD card. So, make sure you create a backup of entire important data. If you are not familiar with Android backup process, you can refer our guide to Backup Android phone data.
- Make sure the phone’s battery is at least 60% charged at the start up of tutorial. If battery runs off during unlocking process, it may turn your phone into brick. So, charge the device before tutorial.
- If the device bootloader is locked, it is to be unlocked before rooting process. You cannot gain root access unless bootloader is unlocked.
- To install custom ROM’s/Firmware the HTC One M8 must be rooted and should be installed with custom recovery. Perform this step if not done previously.
Are you sure you completed all the above steps? Yes, you can now get started with the Android Oreo installation process.
Android Oreo ROM (Download latest package from downloads section)
GUIDE TO UPDATE HTC ONE M8 TO ANDROID 8.0 OREO LINEAGEOS 15 ROM
Disclaimer: Rooting/Unlocking/Installing custom ROMs and Kernels are not official methods. So, neither device manufacturer nor Droid Word team is responsible if anything goes wrong with your device during the process. This article is only for educational purpose. You can continue with the implementation at your own risk.
STEPS TO BE FOLLOWED
Step 1: Download Android Oreo ROM and Google Apps packages from downloads section to your PC. Do not unzip the packages.
Step 2: Connect HTC One M8 to PC using an USB cable.
Step 3: Transfer the downloaded packages into the root of phone/SDcard memory.
Step 4: Once the transfer is done, disconnect the USB and turn off the HTC One M8.
Step 5: Enter custom recovery mode on HTC One M8. Don’t know how? Do follow the simple step below:
Turn on the device by holding Volume up+Home+Power buttons together until you see the recovery mode.
Step 6: In custom recovery mode, you can view a list of options which are not available in Stock recovery. Among them, find and select wipe data/factory reset(In recovery mode the touch interface will not work. You can use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select).
Step 7: Now perform a complete data wipe by selecting wipe cache partition.
Step 8: Once done, enter advanced options in recovery mode and select wipe dalvik cache.
Step 9: If you are done with all the above steps, you can flash the firmware package now. Select install zip from sdcard, navigate and choose the previously copied Android Oreo ROM package. Confirm the installation and do not interrupt the process.
Step 10: After completion follow Step 9 again and choose Google apps package in this case.
Step 11: Once the packages installation is completed, select reboot system now option.
That’s it! Your device now boots up running Android 8.0 Oreo. You have successfully Updated HTC One M8 to Android 8.0 Oreo LineageOS 15 ROM. If you face any issues while following the above guide, do let us know through the comments section. We may help you out.